Brighton and Hove Council in the UK have produced a really good journey planner for cyclists with the Google Maps API. The cycle route planner is part of the council's main journey planner that also uses Google Maps for car, public transport and walking directions in the city.
To use the journey planner users enter their starting location and destination. They next choose whether they want walking, cycling, car or public transport directions. If you choose cycling directions you then get the option to choose the directest route or the flattest route.
The returned route is shown on a Google Map, with a full description of the journey under the map. The map also displays the number of calories that you are likely to burn and a gradient chart of the journey.
More Walking and Biking Maps
- GeoVelo -cycle route finder for Tours, France
- Bikemap - cycling directions for San Francisco
- Walkscore - allows you to find walkable places to live
- Ride the City - find the safest bike route between any two points in New York City
- Tracks and Trails on Google Maps - a number of other GPS tracking sites
- CommunityWalk - plot and find walks
- CityBikeMap - track and find bike maps
- NYC Bike Maps - bike routes in New York
- Utagawa VTT - This site lists more than 900 mountain biking routes.
- RouteYou - Community map site for walking biking, motoring and touring routes.
- Chicago Bike Map
- Phildelphia Bike Lanes and Trails
- Bikely - User submitted bike routes from around the world
- Bikemap.net - 40,000 Bike routes mapped!
- I Need a Bike - A mashupof Velib
- Cycle Vancouver - cycling directions for Vancouver
- Buddyway - track your position in real-time and put it on the map
- My Transport - cycling directions for Newcastle, UK
- Cycle Tokyo - cycle tours of Tokyo
- fietsnet - cycle map of Belgium